15.000 Frames To Go
Today I tested varying light and camera setups for my Orpheus film project. I learned that I still need some spots, and that I have to buy a few more different light bulbs to achieve certain moods. I think I have to do some more test shots before I eventually begin animating, but that’s fine.
Here are some images I created today, with the puppets set in scene:
Orpheus at the Cemetery.
Charon standing in his Cave.
I also stripped down my old-school animation stand to use it as a camera support. I’m going to use its movable parts because I can track, pan or tilt the camera with its help easily. (Don’t worry, it’s easily to be re-assembled!)
Despite working on all the technical issues, I finished the very last props:
300 blank dope sheets.
Oh, I also went to the local copy shop today to get 300 copies of my dope sheet.
You can download the dope sheet pdf if you like (approx. 500KB). I tried several dope sheets created by other animators over the years, and whenever something worked well, I added it to my own version. Feel free to use and spread it!
Yesterday I did a rough calculation on how long the film is supposed to be by using a stopwatch. I assumed it’s going to run for about ten minutes, or 15.000 frames. Seeing the figures, I got a bit discouraged, even though that changed quickly, thanks to my dear friend Simon.
We had a small chat on twitter, and he said:
Wise words indeed!
I loved that so much that I created this little illustration, and pinned it to my studio wall. – Awesome! (Feel free to download the image as well!)
Still, I’m very excited of what’s going to happen next. I think I’ll start with the silhouette animation since it’s less complicated. And then I’ll work my way through the whole animation. Ha!
Have a good week!