Another Two Puppets Finished: Cerberus and Hermes
A week can be very short.
Last sunday I announced to finish the silhouette concept of Hermes, his scale drawing and his armature. These public deadlines work great for me and I finished it all. So big thanks to Shelley Noble on whose blog we evolved the idea of adding some external pressure to our productions .
This week’s achievements: the finished Hermes silhouette puppet. It wasn’t much more work to finish it completely.
Since I also work in schools and museums, I had just a minimum of time to work on the film the last days. I don’t know how I managed to be in schedule, but I did it.
Actually, I even finished some more things I didn’t announce: I assembled the Cerberus silhouette puppet, too, and I did some more research for the house’s interieur, its furnitures and details.
Heck, I’m too tired to tell you all the details, but the process is always the same with the silhouette puppet making:
- find references
- make concept drawings
- vectorize concept drawing
- assemble (paper) prototype
- correct vector drawings if necessary
- make scale drawings
- build aluminium wire armature with bones made of milliput
- cut out single pieces from black cardboard
- glue cardboard to armature
- spraypaint black from behind
The illustration above was absolutely a happy accident: when I spraypainted the puppet’s back, I laid it on a sheet of paper to avoid stains on the floor. I really love the result, and that’s why it made its way directly to another mood board…
Those are my finished puppets so far. I’m still surprised but pleased how well they look together…
For next week, I’m going to work on Charon’s silhouette character. I have to design his silhouette concept, a scale drawing and his armature… It’s pretty much a routine workflow now…