“Really? – Yes!” (2011)
Mixed media on paper | 60 x 42 cm
A lot of things happened during the last weeks. First of all: I married the most beautiful man alive. Finally. After 11 years. How cool is that? I’m also saying goodbye to some paid but annoying jobs. Which means I have more time to spend in the studio, but at same time find new ways to earn a living. 2011 seems to be a year of change for me.
The wedding came suddenly, and the days (joyful days!) rushed by. We had a big garden party at our house, and we had most of our friends around which was just perfect. I was some kind of jet-lagged the days after the wedding, and so we decided to do some in-house honeymooning. We haven’t spent so much time together for years I think. It’s still great!
Letting Things Grow
Studio Monday was a lonely event the last three weeks. I didn’t write about them because I didn’t get so much done on my Orpheus film project. But at least I did some creative work: I started and finished working on several new paintings with which I am very satisfied right now. And I worked a lot in our garden that is still more like a jungle.
I accepted that I got stuck again with the film and tried to do some loosening up through the drawings. That worked nicely, and so did gardening. Sleeping a lot was helpful as well.
My friend Shelley Noble wrote an article about why it’s so much easier to to the first 97% of a project, but so amazingly difficult to do the remaining 3%. I have similar issues. I’ve got a big Resistance against moving forward with my film. (Notice the progress bars! The end is near, my friend, at least in set-building.)
I also had a big Resistance (yes, in Capitals!) against writing about it. But I do this for now, perhaps I’ll overcome the other as well by doing
Other Things As Planned
“They said it’s just a memory” (2011)
Mixed media on paper | 100 x 70 cm
Those last three weeks in which I spent a lot of time in the studio, and preparing and celebrating my wedding helped me to understand what I need and what I want in life. Working on a complex film project is very similar to live in a long-term relationship. After the first euphoria has transformed into some everyday life, it takes a lot of energy to accept changes and to keep it going though. The good thing is: it’s definitely worth it!
Again, I’m sharing my process because I think it’s important to see not only the good things in life but the difficult aspects as well. However, I hope you find it helpful.