First Puppet Finished: Meet Hades!
My friend Shelley Noble and I agreed that it would be nice to report the progress of each’s film project on our blogs weekly. The idea behind this is to increase a kind of outside deadline pressure since self-set deadlines for some reason never really seem to work…
So I announced to finish the Hades silhouette puppet and the armature for Cerberus this week, and what should I say? I did it! Ha! I must admit that getting things done leaves a pretty pleasant aftertaste. To celebrate I’d like to share some pics:
The finished Hades silhouette puppet before he was spraypainted black from behind.
…and a look behind the scenes.
At first glance Hades looks like a cut-out puppet and to some degree he is. I glued his silhouette to a simple wire armature. Though I use silhouettes in the Underworld’s setting, I also want to employ delicate lighting and depth of field.
I decided to combine the flat visuals with an aluminium wire armature to use the advanteges of classical puppet animation (its bones are made of super-fine Milliput). I finally sprayed all parts with a thin layer of black colour from behind to avoid reflections during the animation.
Cerberus scale drwaing…
…and the finished armature.
The Cerberus puppet is going to be pretty much the same, despite he’s a quadruped character. Eventually, the naked armature will be hidden behind all the single black cardboard pieces and also painted black from behind.
I did some more research on props and characters, too. My final preproduction deadline is at the beginning of April. I have a little countdown widget for my Mac’s Dashboard, and it says that there are 61 days left.
Next week I’m going to finish the silhouette concept of Hermes, his scale drawing and his armature as well.
Have a nice week, everybody!