Orpheus: The Pupppet, Finally
What a week.
There were so many other things to do that it was rather difficult to find time slots for working on the Orpheus puppet for my current film project. And whenever I’ve found the time, something just screwed up. Whatever I tried, there has always been something very wrong with it.
To make a long and annoying story short, here are the outcome:
I experimented a lot with the latex mâché, but I didn’t got the results I wanted. Eventually I decided to cast a foam model and cover this with latex mâché and dyed paper. (This was just after I nearly broke the mold again…)
The paper starts to peel of on the bending parts of the puppet (like the elbows, for example), so I gave him a thin liquid latex finish which is why he looks a bit glossy. I’m thinking about achieve a more matte look by using baby powder or so, but I’m not sure about this yet.
Actually I like the glossy look because it makes the character stand out in the papery world he’s inhibiting. I also like how he looks great on camera. Even though he has a rough surface, the overall impression is nice.
I didn’t photographed him in the sets so far, but I did a small Photoshop collage to get you an idea:
This is the 2010 concept drawing, or rather collage of how the final puppet was supposed to look like.
Puppet making went up to 98%, and I really hope that the next one will be finished a bit quicker than the last one.
Oh, and this was just my 150th blog post. Back then, in January 2008, I posted somewhat like an Orpheus trailer…