It’s been three weeks now since I’ve started working on the Orpheus project continously again. I got stuck during the puppet making process and did some research instead to find visual references for the backdrops and for some of the other puppets as well. I decided not to have only one huge reference wall but a smaller one for each setting of the film to find the specific look and feel for every single take, somehow like that one:
My reference walls are collections of photos and drawings I took or made myself, pictures from the internet, and sometimes found materials like little pieces of lace, paper or else. First of all, I collect them intuitively and without editing. Eventually I sort them according to categories like colours, textures or function of their respective kind of stage prop, for example. This mood board gives a nice impression of how the look and feel of the cemetery setting is going to be alike.
I also wrote several to do lists to get an overview of all the things which need to be done before I could start animating. It seems like there is still much to do but I can see the progress more clearly now. Since everything is listed I’m not afraid of missing something important any more. Aaand: Ticking items off the lists is always so very satisfying…
My puppet-making to do list is one out of only six checklists so far, though it feels like several dozens of them. Mhmmm, lists! Lists make progess visible… Progress is gooood!
So… Back to progress.
– Back to work!